Board of Sorority Affairs: Bylaws
The Board shall serve in an advisory capacity to the University of Illinois' Black Greek, Panhellenic, and United Greek Councils and to the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs. It shall be the coordinating unit between the University, the Black Greek Council, Alumnae Panhellenic, Collegiate Panhellenic, and United Greek Council. The Board of Sorority Affairs shall support the activities and operations of the sororities so that these student organizations at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign campus shall:
- be a part of the University of Illinois and under obligation to advance the intellectual, moral, physical and social personal development of sorority members;
- accept the responsibility for a positive contribution to the educational function of the University of Illinois;
- promote high academic standards of scholarship;
- demonstrate responsible discipline with justice;
- promote financial responsibility and stability.
The Board shall consist of:
- Three alumnae sorority members. Composition of the faculty and staff will include a representative of each council.
- Three University of Illinois faculty-staff members. Composition of the faculty/staff will include the Black Greek,
Panhellenic, and United Greek Council.
- It is preferable that the faculty-staff members be appointed for staggered terms of three years so that one membership shall expire each year, thus providing for one new membership each year.
- Six (6) students representing the Black Greek, Panhellenic, United Greek Councils. Composition of the students will include the Black Greek, Panhellenic, and United Greek Council presidents or their designee. Three chapter presidents will be chosen on an alphabetical rotation. Associate members of each council will be bypassed in the rotation. The council presidents or her designee's chapter shall be bypassed in the rotation if they are the same sorority.
- The Assistant Dean of Students (Fraternity and Sorority Affairs) and Assistant to the Dean of Students (Fraternity and Sorority Affairs) will serve on the Board as an ex-officio members.
The Board shall select its own chair from the faculty-staff group. A vice-chair shall be selected from the undergraduate membership.
Matters for consideration of this Board may arise within the Board itself or may be brought to the Board by a member of Black Greek Council, Panhellenic Council, United Greek Council, the University faculty or staff, or any other member of the University.
V. Judicial Responisibilities
- The Senate Committee on Student Discipline, established by the Urbana-Champaign Senate, shall have original jurisdiction to hear and render decisions in disciplinary cases and has appointed the Subcommittee on Undergraduate Student Conduct to assume original jurisdiction, when deemed necessary, in instances involving undergraduate students.
- The Board of Sorority Affairs has been designated by the Senate Committee on Student Discipline as the Board with original jurisdiction to hear and render decisions in all disciplinary cases involving group activities of the sororities at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, unless the Senate Committee on Student Discipline determines to exercise original jurisdiction.
- The Board of Sorority Affairs shall report the action in such cases to the Senate Committee on Student Discipline through the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs.
- Appeals from decisions of the Board of Sorority Affairs will be referred to the Subcommittee on Undergraduate Student Conduct.
- Minority or dissenting reports of the Board of Sorority Affairs shall accompany all reports made in an appeal to the Subcommittee on Undergraduate Student Conduct or to the Senate Committee on Student Discipline.